Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

So, I'm thinking of getting a puppy. Well, not a real puppy, necessarily. Probably an older dog that is already house-trained. But regardless, a small furry animal with 4 legs capable of unconditional love.

Pros:
1) I'm lonely and I think this will help cheer me up.
2) I've always loved dogs and have wanted one since my family dog passed away a couple of years ago
3) There are so many older dogs in shelters that need good homes.

Cons:
1) It narrows my apartment search pretty significantly, since not all apartments allow animals.
2) Pets are expensive and I have no job.
3) Although I will have a ton of time this summer while studying to be home with a puppy, eventually I'm going to have a job and work 10-12 hours per day. That's a long time to leave a dog cooped up.

So, interesting conundrum I find myself in. My first thought was that I would just foster a shelter dog for the summer, but I think we all know that I wouldn't be able to give him/her back.

Does anyone else work long hours and have a pet? Is it doable?

No comments: