Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Archnemesis

Last week was my first week of training for the Long Beach Marathon. I was originally nervous about trying to follow my marathon training plan while trying to finish up the challenge. I had planned on just adding the long runs and not worrying about any speed or hill work until after the challenge. But since I was feeling so good, I decided I'd throw in a speed workout once a week. Once that felt good, I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd throw in a hill workout.

Now. Contrary to what one might think from my general snarky/judge-y attitude, I don't hate a lot of things [or people, for that matter]. Coconut, rain and Angelina Jolie [don't ask] is pretty much the extent of the list. But I HATE hills. Hate them. They are my archnemesis [which, ps, spell check tells me isn't a word. lies.]. If hills didn't cause my IT Band problem, they certainly exacerbated it. They make me feel like I'm running backwards underwater wearing a clown suit [read: they're hard]. I hate them. Hate.

But I know they're good for me. I know that they will help make me strong and even though Long Beach is relatively flat, I know they're essential to my marathon training. So, last week, I hopped on the treadmill and did some hill sprints [you didn't think I was actually going to run hills outside, did you? where people can see? pssh.]. Were they awesome? No. Did I like them? Heck no. BUT - Did they eat me? No. The next day, I ran my easy 3 with no problems. Moral of the story: I still hate hills, but I may downgrade them from archnemesis to mortal enemy. Coconut, though ... that's a different story.

What's your least favorite part of training?

No comments: