Friday, May 13, 2011

Insanity Doesn't Run in My Family, It Practically Gallups

Just a quick update. I am alive. I am officially done with law school and, barring any unforeseen failures, I am about to become a JD. It's all very exciting.

My parents came in to town on Wednesday night, the same day I finished exams. I've been pretty much going non-stop ever since. My grandma, aunt, uncle and 3 small children are getting in today and my sister and her husband come in tomorrow morning. My apartment is a mess, my car hasn't been cleaned in months and my sanity is hanging on by a thread.

I was so excited when I went to bed on Wednesday night because I didn't have to set an alarm. I fell asleep around 1 am ... and woke up at 5:30. I could not for the life of me fall back to sleep. I laid in bed watching some super awesome early morning television (did you know that Boy Meets World is still on television?!?! Now you do. You're welcome). After a few hours of laying in bed feeling annoyed that I couldn't sleep, I decided to go for a run, since I knew my parents would be jetlagged and I'd have some time to kill. I figured I'd just do a quick 2 miles around my neighborhood. Bad plan. During my 2 shorter runs last week, I noticed a lot of stiffness in my right hamstring. On Saturday, I ran 4 measly miles on the treadmill. During my run I felt great, but about an hour later (as I met my friend at a dog park to chase puppies) my right hip was killing me. Like, limping ow it hurts don't make me walk the two blocks back to my car, killing me). I went home (well, I went to the library. Then I went home ...) iced, rolled, stretched and the pain was completely gone by Monday. I didn't have a chance to run again until yesterday. My run itself was fine, but after the run, my hip was killing me again! It didn't help that my dad decided he really wanted to see Venice Beach, so could we please walk from the Venice Pier to the Santa Monica Pier (6 miles round trip) and oh, we actually have to be somewhere this afternoon, so we have to walk really quickly on the way back and wait, you weren't wearing the right shoes for that? Also, in case anyone was wondering, it's kind of mortifying walking the Venice boardwalk with your parents.

I don't know if my whole family is going to make it through this weekend alive. Oh well. Gidget's Rule #5 - Roll with the punches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing law school. Hopefully you will enjoy practicing more than I did (don't worry, many do).

As for your hip, I wouldn't run through pain. The hip can be tricky; use caution.