Monday, February 21, 2011

Gimpy McGimperson

Workout: 3.1 miles – 36:03 – treadmill, no incline

I was desperate to test my knee out today but nervous that if I went running outside and it started to hurt I’d still have to make my way back home. I decided I’d head to the gym and hop on the treadmill. If my knee hurt, I’d just stop and switch to something else. I ran my 3 miles very slowly but with no pain. I stopped twice to stretch when it felt like my IT Band was starting to get stiff. It didn’t hurt, exactly, but there was definitely a feeling of almost hurting. It felt good to be running but I was just so frustrated at how hobbled I felt that I ended up leaving the gym disappointed.

Good news, though! I made a PT appointment for Wednesday. The therapist came highly recommended and when I called to make my appointment, he said “Oh, bring your shorts and shoes and we’ll take a look at your stride.” That’s super encouraging (right? It’s totally encouraging). I have a great dislike of doctors in general, so I’m not looking forward to the appointment, but hopefully he can get me back on track.

In an effort to not gain unbelievable amounts of weight while I’m sidelined, I went to the grocery store tonight to get tons of yummy salad ingredients. I also got 3 bottles of wine and a very large can of icing. So close and yet, so far.

Anybody have any experience with PTs? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Also, true story, I call my Grandma Gimpy. She's has 2 bad knees and a bad arm that never set right after a break and I joke with her about it. It sounds awful and cruel, but it's meant with all of the love in the world. As I've mentioned, she's kind of hardcore.

No comments: